google886f53cd038da28e.html

Thursday 24 May 2012


Did my calling card presentation on 23rd May. I had prepared far too many slides, but trimmed it down to concentrate on the core stuff. The feedback was helpful in general, except from a couple of pompous and prissy comments from people who should have known better. Good advice from the chair to concentrate on making the main research question out of the PRC elite role in the construction of Taiwan and to insert more 'place holding' in historical terms, so perhaps a chronological relation of the events and catalytic events. So, periodisation, more priority to co-constitution of Taiwan by PRC elites and the necessity of using NCR. Someone else advised me to stick with NCR since I had presented some puzzles and constructivists don't use puzzles and to perhaps look at causes instead of power - Aristotle's four causes. Another supervisor, for some reason, questioned why I was focusing on power and I was a bit confused because one respondant indicated that productive power might be something to focus on - I had done that in the first place, but changed it because the supervisor had questioned it. Using a realist thesis with a constructivist sub-set was another suggestion, while another was to look at how to disentangle the US from it, to narrow down the framework and use national identity in productive power - something that I had been intending to do until one of my supervisors' cryptic comments led me to take another route two weeks before the presentation. Rubric also brought up economic identity. One person asked whether the Taiwan - China conflict was not economic and ideological, rather than to do with identity. It is not. Another asked whether Taiwan's economic development and democracy had led to ideological differences. It has, but Taiwan's civic democracy is tied up with national identity construction. So, in sum, I guess I need to refocus my research question around my original contribution and to better justify my need for neoclassical realism and power when my focus looks at the interactive part of the PRC-ROC dynamic.


No comments:

Post a Comment